5 Components of Physical Fitness
Most of the experts in the industry agree that there are 5 components of physical fitness to define what type of shape our body is in.
~ Improve Your Body ~
Now, if you're actually looking to define the word physical fitness, you might end up with different answers.
According to Wikipedia, Physical Fitness is made up by two related concepts: general fitness - which is a state of health and well-being, and specific fitness - which is a task-oriented definition based on the ability to perform specific aspects of sports or occupations.
To truly be physically fit is mainly achieved through proper exercise, proper nutrition and getting plenty of rest. This is an important part of life period.
To live your life to the fullest, you need to be physically fit so you can enjoy the everyday things in life. The more worn out your body is, the harder life is for you.
The simplist things like tying your shoe or walking up a flight of stairs can become a tedious task if your bent out of shape. Get it together mentally AND physically. Besides, physical fitness starts in your head...MOTIVATION is the key to getting in shape!
Lets take a look at the
5 Components of Physical Fitness:
1. Cardiovascular Endurance - is the ability of the heart and lungs to deliver oxygen rich blood to the muscles being worked and transporting waste products from the body's cells. Your ability to continue working out without feeling tired is what measures your physical fitness. Examples of this would be running, jogging, swimming, etc.
2. Muscular Strength - this is when a muscle or muscle group can exert the greatest amount of force in a single effort using heavy resistance. Examples of this would be the leg press, bench press, weighted squats, anything with lifting weights.
3. Muscular Endurance - this is often confused with muscular strength, but it is related. This is the ability of a muscle or muscle groups to repeat a specific movement many times or hold a specific position for a certain amount of time. Basically, the muscles ability to perform continuously without fatiguing. Examples to improve this would be cycling, jogging and elliptical machines.
4. Flexibility - this is one of the major components. It's having the ability to move any group of joints through a full range of motion. Being flexible is what allows the muscles to lengthen. To improve your flexibility, stretch your individual muscles after a warm up.
5. Body Composition - your overall physical level depends on your body composition. This is the percentage of body fat compared to your total body mass. The body's fat, muscles, bones and other vital organs are known as your body composition.
Those are the basic descriptions for the 5 components of physical fitness. Improving your cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and muscular endurance will have a positive impact on your total body composition. You'll also notice your body isn't holding onto as much fat as it may have before.
You already know that having too much body fat reduces good performance in any activity and affects your health in a very negative way. So, take that into consideration and take a step forward and commit yourself to live a healthier life!
Return from 5 Components of Physical Fitness to Kick Into Fitness home page